November 12, 1942. WOC (Wartime Operations Center) number 6, Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois. War Cabinet meeting of the executive branch; recently evacuated from temporary headquarters in Chicago.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt adjusted himself in his seat, but could not find a comfortable position.
The Martian Civilization
By Richard Knelling
Saturday Evening Post, August 1943
The Martians are exactly the ancient and cold race described by Wells. Where he went wrong was ascribing to them a 'vast intelligence'. In actual fact, individually, Martians are not much more intelligent than an Earth wolf. The comparison is apt in other ways; we know from deciphering their electronic records that the Martians are descended from semi-aquatic pack hunters who once ranged across the long lost shallow Martian seas and the great stretches of marshland surrounding them.
- September 2nd
- Moses Mercer's Last Ride
- The Martian Army attacks Earth!
- The battleship USS Maine exploded in Havana Harbor at 9:40pm on February 15, 1898, the climax in pre-war tension between the United States and Spain. In the American press, headlines proclaimed "Spanish Treachery!" and "Destruction of the War Ship Maine Was the Work of an Enemy!" William Randolph Hearst and his New York Journal offered a $50,000 award for the "detection of the Perpetrator of the Maine Outrage." Many Americans assumed the Spanish were responsible for the Maine's destruction.
- Dr Wilhelm Kress of Austria makes the first powered flight in an airplane design based loosely on the Martian airship he observed the previous year in London
- Rolls-Royce Limited converts a Martian 'air turbine' to run on kerosene instead of hydrogen
- Rolls-Royce Limited achieves first flight with a 'air turbine' powered aircraft
This is the top level for the Second War of the Worlds timeline. Please add any historical categories below this level.
Categories include Technology, Politics, Arts, War, and so on. Each category page will contain short descriptions of pertinent events, linked (if possible) to contributed entries or wikipedia articles giving more information about the event.
Pertinent events can include both 'alternate' and 'real' history, so long as they have bearing on the shared universe of WoW II.
Wire News, October 27, 1919
Scientists at Stanford University in California have discovered the basic principles used by the Electronic Brains found in Martian machinery. It is believed that this will lead to similar electronic brains being made available for government and businesses within a decade.
Says Stanford professor Trevor Lickman; "There could be a market for as many as two or three hundred electronic computation devices a year."